I am so excited to tell you that StepLife has been nominated for The Sunshine Blogger Award by KandyAppleMama!! The Sunshine Blogger Award is given from bloggers to other bloggers who are creative, positive, and inspiring. This is a huge honor for me, and I am in great company with the other nominees. I love how our blogging community is working to change the narrative of stepparenting, coparenting, and blended families. Thank you KandyAppleMama!
Once nominated, the blogger is required to write a post where they:
- Thank the blogger who nominated them and link back to their blog.
- Answer the 11 questions asked by the blogger who nominated them.
- Nominate 11 other bloggers and ask 11 new questions.
- Notify your nominees and create/display a Sunshine Blogger Award logo in the post.
I am very happy to add two of my favorite bloggers to your wonderful list KandyAppleMama! Clearly we have the same reading list 😉 These bloggers are passionate, creative, and are making a difference in the world for blended families.
My questions and answers
- What is your favorite part of blogging in the stepparenting/co-parenting realm?
I LOVE blogging in this area for many reasons, but mostly I love helping others. When someone comments or sends me a message saying “thank you for that post, I needed to read that!” it makes me determined to keep blogging. If I can help one stepmom feel better about her role in her family, or help one Dad understand his partner’s perspective a little better, my job is done!
- What made you want to start blogging about something so personal?
When I started dating my husband, I remember thinking “well, I like kids, so how hard can this be?” *shakes head and sighs* Oh, how little I knew… No matter how fluidly your family comes together, the blended family/stepfamily life is tough. You can’t possibly know what you’re getting into – I sure didn’t – and I wanted to reach out to others who were feeling the same way. Many stepmoms feel guilty when they struggle with this life, and I wanted to bring those tough conversations out into the public world of social media. If we acknowledge the challenges, we make them real. And THEN we can work to help each other and change the way we see stepparenting.
- What’s the hardest topic you’ve chosen to write about?
I’ve written about my personal struggles with anxiety, depression, and eating disorders, and that was tough. It’s an incredibly personal, and very raw part of my life. But again, I think it’s important to shed light on these experiences. To normalize them. If it helps one person, I’m happy.
- Are there days you step back from your co-parenting role? What does that look like to you?
My latest blog was about exactly this! I’ll just leave it here… 😉
- What is your favorite part about co-parenting?
The best aspect of stepparenting is getting to know and spend time with two awesome kids who I would otherwise not have in my life. I had my baby girl six months ago, and it fills my heart to see her with her siblings. They dote on her and she just loves them.
- What is the message you want to share with the world?
That stepparenting is tough, so if you’re struggling, that’s okay. That you must make time for self-care. And that the reason you are in a stepfamily is because you fell in love with someone who is a parent, so focus on your relationship with your partner. He or she is the one you will be with at the end of the day, the one you will go to bed with at night. A strong parenting team is the key to a happy family.
- What is your personal motto?
Whatever you’re feeling or going through right now, you’re okay, and you will be okay.
- What’s a fun fact very few know about you?
I’m working on a children’s book! It’s written from the perspective of an “ours” baby who misses her older brother and sister when they are at their mom’s house. (I wonder what my inspiration was 😉 )
- What’s your favorite article you’ve ever written?
I wrote an article that was an open letter to my stepfather, thanking him for all he has done. Becoming a stepmom really opened my eyes to how tough I was on him in those early years, and I wanted to celebrate the awesome relationship we have now.
- Have you created any products for your readers?
I am a Certified Stepfamily Coach, so I offer different types and levels of coaching for my readers. You can email me questions and request advice, I can chat with you via Skype or phone, or if you’re close by we can meet up to chat in person! I love helping others navigate their stepfamily challenges.
- What’s your next big blog project?
Well, it’s not a blog, but I am hosting The StepLife Stepmom Retreat this October!! A full weekend away in Ontario where we will talk all things stepfamily, socialize, share, and connect with an amazing group of stepmoms. It will be a chance to recharge your batteries, and come away with some super valuable tools to help you in your stepfamily! You can always contact me for more info or to join us!
My 11 questions for my two nominees:
1. What inspired you to start writing in this area?
2. Who is your target audience for your blog?
3. What is your number one stepfamily/blended family tip for your readers?
4. What was the best piece of stepfamily advice YOU received?
5. If you have an entire day to yourself, to do whatever you want, what are you doing?
6. What was your first blog about? What was your most recent blog about?
7. Who inspires you in your life?
8. What is the best thing about blogging to you?
9. What is your blogging routine? (When and where do you blog, do you blog on a schedule or whenever you’re are inspired, etc.?)
10. Do you offer services along with your blogging?
11. What is on your blogging wish list? (What do you want to talk about next?)
Thank you so much KandyAppleMama and thank you to all the other bloggers out there who are changing the way we blend, mix, and grow our families!